Tuesday 5 March 2013

Medical Preparations Day

Up at 4:30am to take oldest son to the airport for his snowboarding/extended family time vacation in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. I bought him the plane ticket for Christmas which he was extremely pumped to cash in on today. He never slept all night. When I texted him at 4:30 to see if he was up I was informed he hadn't been to bed and was currently enjoying grilled cheese sandwiches. Kids....

I squeezed into an early appointment for my CAPP ( Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers ) offshore medical tests. Testing normally take 75 minutes but ran over 120 due to a few hiccups with tests. Always an issue stabbing my veins for blood collection and today was no exception, delay one. Blood pressure A1,  109 over 60. Pulse 54, EKG perfect, hearing loss noted on high end probably due to industrial noise loss from early years in the business. Blood in Urine....delay number two. Doctor had to write a informational letter for my home doctor regarding path forward. X-rays for kidney stones was his immediate concern for working offshore. If a flare up was to occur without immediate medical help it could be an issue. Thus offshore medical fitness for duty to work was only approved for a 3 month period until X-ray results are in. If found good then it will be extended for 2 years. Yellow Fever vaccination nurse was home sick, delay number three. Can't leave without it so it was a scramble to find another spot that had opening for vaccine on short notice. We did, in Halifax later in day. 10 years the shots are good for and I believe I had one 6 years back from a short trip to Nigeria. I scooted home and tore through old files to find my immunisation records and as luck would have it delay number three was no more.

Due to the length of CAPP medical I missed my GP doctor appointment which I required for Malarone ( Malaria Pills ) prescription. Luckily they could rebook me for later in day. My doctor also sorted arrangements for follow up X-ray and further blood and urine tests. If I don't fly tomorrow ( still waiting for ticket ) I can get all recommendations completed tomorrow . 

Just off the phone from client. Tickets will be booked tomorrow for Thursday, Friday or Saturday. So bright and early to hospital to finish follow up tests, good news bad news there. Andddddd they requested my son join me as we just lost one team member. What's the chances of that ! I just put him on a plane this morning to Vancouver, crap !

Time to call around and see if I can find a quality Level one or two rope access technician to fill a now open spot.


No comments:

Post a Comment